Alabama is not a favorable state for gambling. There is no legal online gambling in the state. Alabama gaming laws are strict. But locals can bet on dog racing and horse racing. Gambling enthusiasts can also visit tribal casinos and charity bingo.
In this article, we will tell how to gamble online in Alabama. Our experts have prepared an overview of all the casinos in Alabama. Below you can get acquainted with safe and reliable casinos.
History of Gambling in Alabama
The history of gambling in Alabama goes back more than 100 years. Over the years, there has been controversy over the prohibition and legalization of gambling. Here are the most significant dates in the state’s gambling industry:
- 1901 – Senate banned gambling within its jurisdiction;
- 1902 – Supreme Court allowed betting on horse racing and dog racing;
- 1971 – Alabama allowed pari-mutuel racing;
- 1980 – allowed charity bingo in Jefferson County;
- 1988 – India passed the Gambling Regulation Act. This ruling influenced the opening of three Indian casinos in Alabama;
- 2003 – a constitutional amendment was passed to allow electronic bingo in casinos;
- 2020 – the state closed its last working dog racing racetrack;
- 2021 – the government introduced a document allowing six casinos to operate. If approved, locals could vote on it in 2022.
Alabama continues to be one of those states that have been slow to legalize gambling.